Academic and Enrichment Instructor
Title: Youth Development Instructor
Work Location: Flexible – (Must be able to work at any of our four PAL locations)
Work Schedule: Must be flexible to work weekends, evenings and during special events as needed. Part-Time Hourly 2:30p-6:30p (15-20 hours per week)
Reports to: After School Education Program Manager Coordinator.
The Youth Development Instructor will be responsible for supervising primarily school-age youth, providing homework assistance, mentoring, FCAT preparation, enrichment activities, social skill training and assistance with special projects. This position is responsible for the direct supervision of participants, exercises quality standards for school age care, plan and implement enrichment activities, educational field trips, daily recreation and special events. The Youth Development Instructor will ensure child safety at all times and assist the staff ans participants in other areas of need or otherwise determined by the Program Manager.
- Responsible for supervising up to 15 students and their overall safety at all times
- Engage students in educational, enrichment, leadership and recreational activities.
- Provides a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process.
- Ensure that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program classification.
- Track and maintain accurate records of class attendance, activities, supplies and equipment.
- Identifies, selects, and modifies instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Assist with organizing and monitoring enrichment and recreation activities; support special events at all PAL locations or designated facilities.
- Consistently meet all standards as required by the Jacksonville Children’s Commission the National After School Association and the Florida Afterschool Network Standards.
- Plan and develop a daily schedule of classroom routines and activities. Prepares and implements educational lesson plans in accordance with the program goals.
- Provides fun interactive activities that are educational for youth including those with learning disabilities.
- Interacts positively with all youth to support their individual learning and emotional needs.
- Works as part of a team, accepts responsibility and is self-motivated
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic to achieve program goals.
- Abide by all polices, procedures and notifications outlined in the Employee Handbook company memo’s and program standards.
Instructors/Teachers holding a Teacher’s Certification will provide intensive tutoring for students failing in core subjects and /or have a grade point average below 2.0. The Certified Teacher will maintain excellent tracking of student academic progress and provide individualized tutoring and improve instruction in Grades K-12 by coaching, training, and supporting the district-wide implementation of standards-based instruction.
- Knowledge of developing mentally appropriate practices for Elementary and Middle School Youth in a diverse environment.
- Ability to adjust to varied situations, demands and new instructional concepts.
- Ability to manage classroom activities, supervise students regularly and during scheduled field trips and events.
- Ability to write and prepare quality lesson plans that support new generation sunshine state standards in core subjects.
- Ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as record keeping, filing, copying, etc.
- Excellent organizational, written and communication skills.
- Knowledge of general rules and safety procedures associated with outdoor and indoor recreational activities.
- Must have a valid Florida Identification or Drivers license demonstrating a positive driving record
- Must posses or obtain a certification in CPR and/or First Aid within 90 days of hire.
- Must pass drug screening and a criminal history check
- Must complete a minimum of 20 hours of Youth Development and or Leadership training annually.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Teaching Certification in Education.
- Minimum 3 years experience working with youth.
- An Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred, or a graduate student in early elementary education, professional in the youth development or have equivalent experience.
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (904)353-9071